Question on creationism
I am a firm believer in the one true God. I believe that He created the universe and everything in it. One of the difficult things for me to come to grips with though is the time frame of the Bible. I guess the most difficult part is the understanding of how someone could really expect that the Bible is the literal, actual written word of God.
I believe that this document was truly inspired by, maintained in it's for by inspiration and allowed to continue by Him.
What I can not understand is how some people can not come to realize that maybe, just maybe that God had to simplify things just a bit when he allowed people to first, remember each event. Secondly, to recall and relate the event and thirdly, to be able to write it down and allow it to be copied and translated without major modifications to the text and content of the message.
Lets look at the first part.
#1: Originally the Bible and it's stories and proverbs, were an oral history told from one generation to the next through time. It is truly amazing that the stories could be told from one generation to the next with the same clarity and story through that time. Although there continues to be peoples around the world who still remember their histories in the same way. Does this mean that I do not think that these events happen? On the contrary I firmly believe that they did. I just am not sure that as puny little humans we could fully understand the full import or impact of what it took to create the universe we live in. On top of that there is the question of the people of that time and their understanding of the world aroudn them. It is a proven historical fact that writing was not around until about 4,000 years or so ago. Numbering as we know it was an even later development. With that being the case, how could God make a people understand something that they could not understand? For instance, when God created the universe and this world, according to the Bible, He created it in 6 days. Can anyone tell me how long one of God's days are?
#2: The Bible states quite clearly when individuals were born and when they died in the Old Testament. If you review the Bible text and chart the histories of each of these patriarcs, you will see that there were many Old Testament patriarcs that should have been on the Ark at the time of the Great Flood, otherwise they would have been drowned in the flood and their lives would not have been as long as reported in the Bible. Does this mean that I do not believe the Bible and the great information contained in it? No, it just means that I have to understand that this text was the written version of the ancient oral histories. I give credit that God has been able to keep these histories intact for as long as they have been.
I am a firm believer that God still creates new creatures that He decides need to be on this earth. I believe that He reaches down and gently touches on the creatures that need changes and provides for that change in subtle mutations of the original creature. I believe that He is still working in each of our daily lives and we just have to look for His hand in our lives. This includes the great advances in science and medicine. In our household we have a saying that says "These _______ (whatever) would not be here if God had not invented them".
As for those that believe that the Bible is the litteral word of God almighty, that is their right. I personally believe that there are many things that we lowly humans could never understand about the workings of God. One of these in the creation of the universe we live in. I have provided by thoughts on this subject above and welcome input from others of the same opinion or contrary opinion. I am sure that not everyone will agree with the thoughts espoused here and that is something else that God has given us. The ability to reason, discuss and understand the opinions and thoughts of others.
I believe that this document was truly inspired by, maintained in it's for by inspiration and allowed to continue by Him.
What I can not understand is how some people can not come to realize that maybe, just maybe that God had to simplify things just a bit when he allowed people to first, remember each event. Secondly, to recall and relate the event and thirdly, to be able to write it down and allow it to be copied and translated without major modifications to the text and content of the message.
Lets look at the first part.
#1: Originally the Bible and it's stories and proverbs, were an oral history told from one generation to the next through time. It is truly amazing that the stories could be told from one generation to the next with the same clarity and story through that time. Although there continues to be peoples around the world who still remember their histories in the same way. Does this mean that I do not think that these events happen? On the contrary I firmly believe that they did. I just am not sure that as puny little humans we could fully understand the full import or impact of what it took to create the universe we live in. On top of that there is the question of the people of that time and their understanding of the world aroudn them. It is a proven historical fact that writing was not around until about 4,000 years or so ago. Numbering as we know it was an even later development. With that being the case, how could God make a people understand something that they could not understand? For instance, when God created the universe and this world, according to the Bible, He created it in 6 days. Can anyone tell me how long one of God's days are?
#2: The Bible states quite clearly when individuals were born and when they died in the Old Testament. If you review the Bible text and chart the histories of each of these patriarcs, you will see that there were many Old Testament patriarcs that should have been on the Ark at the time of the Great Flood, otherwise they would have been drowned in the flood and their lives would not have been as long as reported in the Bible. Does this mean that I do not believe the Bible and the great information contained in it? No, it just means that I have to understand that this text was the written version of the ancient oral histories. I give credit that God has been able to keep these histories intact for as long as they have been.
I am a firm believer that God still creates new creatures that He decides need to be on this earth. I believe that He reaches down and gently touches on the creatures that need changes and provides for that change in subtle mutations of the original creature. I believe that He is still working in each of our daily lives and we just have to look for His hand in our lives. This includes the great advances in science and medicine. In our household we have a saying that says "These _______ (whatever) would not be here if God had not invented them".
As for those that believe that the Bible is the litteral word of God almighty, that is their right. I personally believe that there are many things that we lowly humans could never understand about the workings of God. One of these in the creation of the universe we live in. I have provided by thoughts on this subject above and welcome input from others of the same opinion or contrary opinion. I am sure that not everyone will agree with the thoughts espoused here and that is something else that God has given us. The ability to reason, discuss and understand the opinions and thoughts of others.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home